Ariel Hyatt (author and founder of @CyberPR) put together an excellent article with the best advice from 51 female music entrepreneurs. I’ve highlighted only five below, so be sure to check out the full article on MusicThinkTank.
1. “Your reputation and actions will say more about you than you ever can. Develop authentic working relationships with people and they will remember and respect you. Be confident without arrogance, be knowledgeable but open to learning, be steadfast in your goal but open to change. Ultimately, create a network of people who know who you are and like who they know. - Rynda Laurel (Founder & CEO, 1968media) @rynda
2. “My piece of advice is to remember that as much as everything is constantly changing, it is so important to remember the fundamentals. Technology changes, but people don’t, and the underlying psychology of what motivates people to engage with you and your music, remains constant. Make great music that makes people feel something. Find your people. The rest comes after.” - Alicia Yaffe (CEO, The Spellbound Group) @thespllbndgroup
3. “Be yourself and have confidence in your own individual talents. The combination of simplicity, flexibility and understanding will keep you growing and through the exchange of perspectives with others you come in contact with, your own creativity will flourish and help realize your own goals.” -Miho Nomura (President, Musikkverden Ent.Producer/Composer)
4. “Always remember why you got into the music business in the first place. It’s about expressing yourself and speaking from the heart and hopefully touching someone else’s heart. It’s the dance of the soul. When it stops being that, and thing aren’t happening for you, go back to that truth. No matter what ultimately happens, you will be happier if you stay true to yourself.” - Gail Vareilles (President of Sandshifter Music, Inc.) @gailvar
5. “Shine a light on others as much as you possibly can. Ask how can I help instead of how can others help me, and watch the magic that will unfold.” - Ariel Hyatt (Author & Founder of Cyber PR) @CyberPR